The Winnipeg Citizens Coalition is one of the organizations in Winnipeg taking the lead in organizing a rally in support of a Liberal-NDP Coalition Government. Here are the details:
Date: December, 4th, 2008
Time: 7 pm
Location: Skyview Ballroom, The Marlborough Hotel, 331 Smith Street, Winnipeg, MB
More Info: (204) 947-1400 OR (204) 947-9494
Here is a flyer you can download and use to publicize the Winnipeg rally.
Cross Country Organizing
Across the country, momentum is growing. The Canadians for a Progressive Coalition is asking supporters to show support in a number of ways. Here is a list of Coalition initiatives:
1. Candles for a Coalition: On Tuesday and Wednesday night at 7PM, light a candle infront of a street-facing window and turn off the light in the room for 20 minutes. On Thursday, at 5PM we are organizing Candles for a Coalition events across the country. We are going to take pictures and show Canadians from coast to coast support a coalition. Do you want to help organize one in your community? Email email@example.com by 4PM PST today, December 2nd. There will be a list of events on the website by Wednesday morning.There are also rallies being organized in major cities across the country on Thursday and Saturday – check out: http://www.makeparliamentwork.ca/
2. Call in to radio: A lot of undecided Canadians listen to radio. We need to call in to express our confidence in a coalition and that the 60% of Canadians voted for progressive parties. Use the Conservatives’ website to find your best local option.
3. Sign the Petition: If you have not done so already, please sign the petition. We will submit the petition on Thursday or Friday of this week. We will submit the updated petition again on Monday December 8, the day of the confidence vote.
4. Forward this message to people who use email, and speak with people who don’t. Speak with your friends and family and show them the YouTube video.
5. Also, check out the new “share” functions on the front page of the website under the video – the sites on that menu are a great way to reach people. You can also use this function to email the site to a friend.
6. Phone your MP, or the President of the local Riding Association of the party you voted for, to tell them you support their party forming a coalition government. Encourage your Riding Association leadership to do joint media appearences in support of a coalition. Here is a list of MPs and their coordinates.
7. Write letters to the editor, call in to radio shows, and post comments on news stories and blogs. Remember: we have confidence in a coalition, and 60% is a majority.
8. Finally, go through the news sites and vote in their polls on the coalition. Check out the Globe and Mail poll in particular, it’s about half-way down the front page on the right hand side.
The NDP has put out an email in which they ask supporters to do the following:
- Sign the petition at 62percentmajority.ca
- Attend rallies this week in communities across Canada
- Show your support on Facebook
- Talk to your friends and neighbours and get them involved
Democracy in Action
Doubtless there are many other activities. For those of us who support a coalition government that promises to address the aspirations of the majority of Canadians, it is important that we pull out all the stops. We need to counter the Conservative campaign of fear with facts, honest debate and public demonstations of support.
Contrary to Tory misinformation, this is democracy in action. We can’t let up!